[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer audio from TV line???

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 17:04:09 CEST 2003

Erik Slagter wrote:
> This sounds like a severe out of memory condition!? Maybe ecasound has a
> memory leak...

That's very unlikely, as I got the exact same result using arecord and
aplay. I should try it again and watch memory usage. Also, the problem
happens at random time after starting; sometimes it takes thirty
seconds, sometimes several minutes. I've been watching TV using tvtime
when suddenly, horizontal noise lines appear. After a few seconds, the
hard drive light turns on solid, though it doesn't seem to be swapping.
If I don't switch to the terminal and kill ecasound or aplay
immediately, the machine locks up completely. The mouse (USB) is
unresponsive the whole time, though keyboard commands work fine.

I've wondered if the problem is just related to recording. I should also
try recording to a file on disk instead of playing it back in real time.
By the way, the recording device is a VIA 82c686 (snd-via82xx) on the
motherboard and the playback device is a Creative Labs Ensoniq AudioPCI
(snd-ens1371).

Jonathan Rogers