[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 17:38:31 CEST 2003

Erik Slagter wrote:
> BTW this option has been "experimental" for over a year, I don't think
> there is much interest in encoding to mpeg format, which I think is
> weird, because avi really sucks.

AVI has its problems, but MPEG program streams are much more limited in
what they can contain. I've never heard of anyone putting MPEG-4 video
in them. What I've wondered is why there isn't more interest in using
Quicktime or its derivative, the MPEG-4 container. Those certainly have
their detractors, but Quicktime seems to be quite flexible and capable.
Of course there's also Matroska, which seems to be based on sound
principles and planning, but it's largely unknown and will probably
remain that way for quite a while.

I don't personally have enough specific knowledge of container format
internals to form strong opinions about their strengths and weaknesses.
Usability and ubiquity will depend more on the tools than the format
details anyway. That's why AVI is so popular: there are many useful tools.

Jonathan Rogers