[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found"

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 19:32:37 CEST 2003

Ken wrote:
> The only thing that makes me hestitant to condone MPEG4 is their
> licensing 'fees'. And yes its container is more complicated than AVI,
> but thats because of its Object container support - this turns out to be
> REALLY cool though since ancillary data and media can be carried with
> the file (captions, images, files, chapter lists, etc.).

The MPEG-4 licensing is a big problem for Free Software, at least for
commercial use. I'm not even sure if I'm safe using it privately; I
might be violating patents every time I use mencoder with libavcodec. Do
you know if licenses are required for the container as well as the
codecs? If so, that's a very good reason to avoid it. If not, it could
be a good container to use, even if Vorbis, VP3, Theora or Tarkin were
used in place of MPEG-4 video and audio. I've already seen Quicktime
videos with MPEG-4 video and Vorbis audio. VP3 can be put in several
containers, including Quicktime.

Jonathan Rogers