[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 1 05:31:02 CET 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 03:13:59PM +0100, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 30. November 2003 14:24 schrieb Christian Berger:
> >
> > > ROTFL!! None of MEncoder's deinterlacers are at all acceptable. li
> > > and ci just interpolate from even fields, throwing away half the
> > > framerate and wasting space. lb, l5, and fd create horrible blurring
> > > or ghosts. md destroys all local extrema.
> >
> > I'm talking about lavcdeint, and that really works fine.
>
> "lavcdeint" == "pp=fd"

Right, and it's horrible. It's in between the interpolative and blend
deinterlacers, so it mostly throws away the odd lines, but blends them
slightly, giving ghosting. It doesn't look _too_ bad on live action
material, but on animation you'll get horrible ghosts from black
outlines. In any case it's highly incorrect and only looks decent
sometimes by chance.

Rich