[MPlayer-users] mencoder problems?

Adam Rice adamrice at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 2 07:09:35 CET 2003

Jeremy West wrote:
> Using built-in default codecs.conf.
> File not found: 'frameno.avi'
> Failed to open frameno.avi
> Reading config file /root/.mplayer/mencoder: No such file or directory
>
> This is as far as it gets.  None of the front ends work, and mencoder
> won't work on the command line either.  I'm a little frustrated.  I've
> tried the stable version of mplayer, the prerelease and the cvs-current
> version.
>
> Ignore the fact that I did this as root, sorry don't normally rip dvd's
> as root.  Just seeing if there was a permissions problem.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is?

Well, I know what the problem isn't--it isn't related to any of the
messages above. Is that all that mencoder prints? You should post the
entire output of mencoder, together with your operating system, etc. In
fact, see http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html for
the full list of everything you should report.

You haven't mentioned whether you can play DVDs in mplayer... since it
shares the same DVD playing code with mencoder, that's the first thing
I'd try.

I think it's a problem that mencoder/mplayer print so many things that
look like error messages but are in fact completely normal. Especially
printing not one but two messages about the absence of frameno.avi,
that's just taking the piss.

Adam