[MPlayer-users] Digital camcoder

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 3 05:58:50 CET 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:35:49 +0100
Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] Am Dienstag, 2. Dezember 2003 15:56 schrieb D
> Richard Felker III:
>
> > Smoother? IMO it looks horrible because all the edges are jagged
> > from interlacing. This is especially bad when watching sports. Yes
> > it's temporally smoother, but spacially it has extremely un-smooth
> > artifacts.
>
> Can you tell me a TV that shows "jagged edges from interlacing"?

I'm with Rich here.  Interlaced video does indeed cause a lot of
unique artifacts, such as jagged edges.  You really do end up with half
the resolution at twice the framerate.

> > I'm quite familiar with it all, and interlacing is simply not
> > acceptable. Even on a true interlaced display it looks very bad.
>
> Your TV must be defect if you see interlacing.

You don't "see interlacing", you see the side-effects of interlacing...

If you personally can't see any of the artifacts, you probably don't own
a TV larger than 20 inches (or about 50 centimeters).  And by the way,
I'm in NTSC-land, so TV signals have even more fields per-second.