[MPlayer-users] merging subtitles with video

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 5 01:14:26 CET 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:02:54 +0100
"Stephen D. Leedle" <LeedleSt at gmx.de> wrote:

> So, my solution is following:
> MEncoder doesn't SEEM to support adding the subs into the video (hard
> encoding I think this is called).
> So, the solution is to use MPlayer with following options:
> # mplayer -vo png -z 9 -nosound blabla.file.avi -vobsub subtitle
> So, I wouldn't put my hand into fire to prove this idea, but I use
> this method in similar way.

This is a terrible idea!  If he wanted the subtitles to be hard-coded
into the movie, he certainly doesn't need to dump everything to PNGs,
then re-encode (wasting loads of disk space, unimaginable ammounts of
CPU time, and lowering quality significantly).

Assuming he was encoding from a DVD (or something else with
built-in subtitles), he could just have passed '-slang' or '-sid' to
mencoder in the first place.

Or, after the fact, he could use mplayer similar to the way you
described, but output to mpegpes or yuv4mpeg, which would allow him to
use a fifo to re-encode on-the-fly (not wasting any disk space at
all). Not to mention the major fact that encoding to PNGs is a *very*
slow process.