[MPlayer-users] Rescuing a scratched DVD

Magnus Damm damm at opensource.se
Sun Dec 7 16:27:52 CET 2003

I think this is related:

I usually rent DVD:s and use mplayer to watch them on my media box.
This is a ok solution as long as the DVD is without scratches/finger-
prints. Sometimes (1 out of 10 maybe) the DVD is scratchy/dirty and
my DVD drive together with Linux and mplayer will totally slow down,
I guess trying to read the problematic area of the disc.

I have found out that my Linux kernel likes to disable DMA when a
read error occurs and I have to manually use hdparm to re-enable
it again. And this can only be done after all IO has completed,
I usually have to wait a while an look at the logs that tells me
that a certain sector/whatever of the disc was problematic. And
this takes a lot of time and is generally a PITA.

So how to people solve this? Rent VHS instead? =)
Buy a regular DVD player for 100 EUR? =)
Can I tell the kernel to keep DMA on even if errors occur while
reading the DVD? Is there any way to stop the kernel from reading
sector by sector very slow from the DVD?

This is probably a generic kernel/IDE problem, but I hope someone
knows a better solution than just wait and re-enable DMA...

Thanks!

/ magnus