[MPlayer-users] MPlayer playback of certain DVD chapters is broken - DVD media is sane

Stephen D. Leedle LeedleSt at gmx.de
Mon Dec 8 11:11:47 CET 2003

Hello!

I got following problem, which isn't covered by FAQs or manuals. Therefor
I'm posting this question here:

I am experiencing problems with playback of a DVD. The error is a broken
picture at some parts of the movie(s). The picture is warped. There are
bevelled/almost, but not really, horizontal lines displayed, which are
continous. A comparison for demonstration is following situation:
Take a picture of resolution 100x100. Read the picture, but assume another
resolution, e.g. 90*111 (about 100^2). The result will be a distortion
where the picture is a little bit recognizable, but there will be
artifacts.

If it is allowed to post a file in this group, e.g. a small 720*576 sized
JPEG or PNG, I will give You an example. (Please let me know!)

So, the problem can be specified further and dealt with in SOME cases
succesfully!

It is not the whole DVD affected by this. Mostly it is the main part of
the film. The intro with the producer's logos etc. is in clear, proper
format. In the moment of playback after the logos have been displayed,
the described effect takes place.

The solution is - in some cases - to define a point of playback via the
"-chapter <n>" option. E.g. chapter 1 and 2 are the intros/logos, chapter
3 is the main film starting. Jump to chapter 3 with above option and
playback will be fine. Maybe until the next logo or commercials at the
end of the DVD title.

In my opinion this has to do something with some resolution change or
similar while continous playback.

This problem IS a common one on converting DVDs, I experienced the same
effect using software under Win32 (on other DVDs) (names are not
available, I can't remember them, sorry.) (It was an Open Source or
Freeware DVD copier.) There I could do a work around by also specifying a
later chapter in playback/conversion.

My big problem now is that there ARE 15 chapters in the required DVD
title, but chapter 3 to 15 are set directly at the beginning of the last
logo and NOT at the beginning of the requested movie itself. So chapter
workaround doesn't help in this case.

Another solution would be to use the "-ss <seconds OR hh:mm:ss>" option to
seek into a later position to avoid the assumed resolution change (or
whatever it is) but in this case - very unexpectable! - the video
playback starts ALWAYS at the chapter 3 point.
Or the "-sb <byte position>" option, which results in exactly(!) the same
effect - playback from this ominous chapter 3.

Well, at this point I am considering the DVD authoring as broken. Or the
DVD to be in non-standard/non-supported format.

One assumption: I am not able to jump directly to any other chapter than 2
and 3. All other chapters fail (or go to start of 3), seeking doesn't
work in sense of switch "-ss <n>" or "-sb <n>". Seeking itself (using
arrow keys in console) works.
So, there is something wrong, but I don't know what.

Additional information:
Playback of single *.vob file is possible, e.g. adressing mplayer to use
VTS_02_3.VOB. The playback WILL BE properly. Only on the last *.vob file,
VTS_02_4.VOB, the error reoccures on entering the commercials after the
main movie.

I copied the DVD to hard disk using the (IMHO) excellent "# vobcopy -m",
which mirrors and de-css-es the disc.

I am using almost brand new CVS code for MPlayer:
"MPlayer dev-CVS-031203-10:50-3.2.3"

Any other information can be handed out, except the title of the DVD which
isn't reconstructable. (It is a japanese hentai of "Cool Devices", please
don't blame me of anything.)

In the hope of not stealing Your time, I politely ask You for help in this
situation.

Maybe this problem is a generic one, so I could assist in some way to fix
this in general!

Greetings, Stephen D. Leedle