[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

HR haavroed at online.no
Mon Dec 8 12:34:12 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of
[...]
> How about what the production of the film costs?  Are you suggesting
> that film producers should 1) operate at a loss, and 2) continue to
> produce films?
You left out several other obvious options;
* they could stop paying actors rediculous amounts of $
* they could operate with "some profit" instead of "a heck of a lot"

Ang btw, there are lots of other intermediaries helping themselves to
big chunks of the cake, so we shouldn't neccecarily aim the cannon at
the film companies...

[...]
> You can be sure that without patents and copyrights, there would be
> far less innovation generally, and specifically almost no video or
> audio works.
>
> It is reasonable to argue that the time limits on copyrights and
> patents be reduced, but abolishing copyrights and patents in entirety
> would help no one.
Since when did "copyright" and "reasonable pricing" become mutually
exclusive? There's nothing wrong with copyright, however, there is
something wrong in using a monopolized market to charge unreasonable
amounts of money for a service. There is usually an independant gov.
apt. organization supposed to take care this does not happen. In many
cases they fail miserably, though.

We're traying so far off topic now, that I'll allow one horrible
copyright example from scandianvia. In Denmark, some author some time
ago (1981 I think) created a character in a childrens book called "gummi
tarzan" ("rubber tarzan"). Recently, the Disney corp sued everyone for
infringing their copyrighted character "Tarzan". So now, through a
settlement out of court, it is illegal for the next TEN YEARS for
anyone, even children in a school play or in the kindergarden to set up
anything with that character. Now, no one even try to explain to me why
this is right.

HR