[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 8 21:05:39 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 11:37:21PM -0500, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> > It would stop piracy instantly - you can't pirate something when
> > you're *allowed* to copy it...just look at Linux ;-)
>
> Ignoring the other points, this is analogous to saying that we should
> eliminate crime by eliminating criminal laws.  (But this comical remark
> does not really relate to anything else mentioned.) ;)

This remark is not comical, it's very true. Most crime is the result
of stupid criminal laws. Think drug war. Or maybe your republican ass
is too stupid to realize that victimless crimes (including both drug
use and copyright infringement) are not "crimes" that we need to
protect society against.

Rich