[MPlayer-users] LFE, where are you?

Stefan Lange hoirkman at gmx.de
Tue Dec 9 17:05:12 CET 2003

Jacob Jovelou wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 12:51, Stefan Lange wrote:
>

>>how about "-af sub=60:5" or something similar, does that work?
>>

>Hello Stefan!
>
>That didn't do anything, I'm afraid... Maybe that audio filter require a
>more-than-2-channel soundcard to work properly.

well, if you only have 2 channels there's not really a point in using it

>Is channel 5 always LFE, or can that change from disc to disc?

I think you're misunderstanding this: "5" is the channel where mplayer
is routing the lfe-signal, this has nothing to do with the source
material. If you do a "-af sub=60:0" or "-af sub=60:1" the lfe will come
out of your front-left jack or front-right respectively. Channel 5 is
the usual place where you connect your subwoofer on an analogue 5.1
system (0,1: front; 2,3: rear; 4: center; 5: woofer)
If I do "mplayer -channels 6 dvd://10" both front channels and rear

>channels seem to be decoded for the 2ch-mixdown but not the center or
>the lfe. I suspect that pan could help me there.

so how many channels does your hardware/driver actually support?