[MPlayer-users] mencoder: remove logo

Stephen D. Leedle LeedleSt at gmx.de
Tue Dec 9 22:24:16 CET 2003

Hello!

Thank You very much for accepting my mental ... distorsion ;) - and thank
You for translating it for the other people!

Now I feel better, I've been on a 3 or 4 hour walk, which made me feel
happy. So I will be able to answer You straigth ahead on Your last
question.

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:21, Helge Preuss wrote:
> One (maybe stupid) more question though: how do I save the audio track
> and restore it when encoding the movie from multiple files?

I use following method for extracting audio out of media files, using
MPlayer, NOT MEncoder. (I could try something else like the "transcode"
package which I don't understand at all *g*)

So, it is simple: ("# man mplayer")
--- Quote start ---
       -ao <driver1[:device],driver2,...[,]>
              Specify a priority list of audio output drivers (optionally
with device) to be used.  With SDL 'device' is valid, too, it means
              subdriver then.
              NOTE: To get a full list of available drivers, see -ao help.
              If the list has a trailing ',' it will fallback to drivers
not listed.

              EXAMPLE:
                 -ao oss:/dev/dsp2,oss:/dev/dsp1,
                      try to use OSS with the specified sound devices and
fallback to others if it fails
                 -ao sdl:esd
                      specify the SDL subdriver

       -aofile <filename>
              Filename for -ao pcm.
--- Quote end ---

That's all You have to know, all You have to do. I use it, it functions
reliable!

Ahm, something in addition:
--- Quote start ---
       -nowaveheader (-ao pcm only)
              Don't include wave header.  Used for RAW PCM.
--- Quote end ---

1) "-ao pcm" creates a M$ .WAV conform file, industry standard.
2) Above option would do raw PCM, which You wouldn't want, if I understand
properly. Just wanted to mention this for not confusing You! :-)

This will speed up decoding of audio:
--- Quote start ---
       -vo <driver1[:device],driver2,...[,]>
              Specify a priority list of video output drivers (optionally
with device) to be used.  With SDL and GGI 'device' is valid,  too,
              it means subdriver then.
              NOTE: See -vo help for a full list of available drivers.
              If the list has a trailing ',' it will fallback to drivers
not listed.

              EXAMPLE:
                 -vo xmga,xv,
                      Try Matrox kernel driver, then Xv driver, then
others
                 -vo sdl:aalib
                      specify the SDL subdriver
--- Quote end ---

Use "# mplayer -vo null". This will skip any graphical decoding and
displaying, and will set the speed of the process to max. (Indirectly,
because MPlayer mustn't wait for a/v sync/playback sync!)

Warning! The reliability is compromised by following fact:
If You use "# mplayer ... -ao pcm -aofile output.wav ..." You are using an
instance of MPlayer, which is NOT an MEncoder. MPlayer always(?) accepts
key input, e.g. navigational keys (up, down, left, right), even if only
in console/text mode output.
Using THESE would skip a view seconds, so the output would be "damaged".
Don't touch Your console on extraction of the audio by this method.

Anybody knows an AVI file demuxer, simple and able to do the same thing?
E.g. in this solution MPlayer outputs real PCM wave files. A demuxer only
would dump compressed(?) data, maybe (or likely) without header!?
Information requested :-)

So, I didn't write 100% clear, again, as usual, but I hope this will help
You in Your task.

Just report success or failure, if You got time :)

Greetings, Stephen D. Leedle