[MPlayer-users] av sync problems dvd->divx w/lavc and 3 pass

Aaron Peterson aaron at alpete.com
Tue Dec 9 22:56:52 CET 2003

>> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of
>> Aaron Peterson
>> For whatever reason I can't seem to consistently get the a/v
>> sync right
>> when going from a dvd source to .avi with mencoder.  The
>> audio is almost
>> always between 200-400 msec off the video, and any given file
>> is off when
>> played by mplayer and windows media player.  I can adjust
> Are you using TV out and passing the sound through something that can
> introduce audio lag? I recently tried passing both audio and video
> through my DVD-recorder, passing video from there to the TV, and the
> audio through an amp. The DVD recorder, for some reason, introduced
> exactly the kind of lag on the sound you're speaking of. Gave quite an
> interesting echo-effect, since I'm passing the surround output directly
> from the PC to an active surround set, and the sound passed from the PC
> to the DVD recorder was the plain stereo output. The surround set hit
> first, then an echo in the two large stereo speakers.
>
> HR

nope i'm pulling straight from the dvd in a dvd-rom drive on the computer
doing the encoding as is shown in the mencoder commands i posted...  here
they are again for clarity:

mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts
preset=standard

rm divx2pass.log && mencoder -dvd 1 -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=150:vbitrate=870:vpass=1 -vop
crop=640:268:0:44,scale -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy

mencoder -dvd 1 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=150:vbitrate=870:vpass=2 -vop
crop=640:268:0:44,scale -zoom -xy 640 -oac copy

I've also tried ripping the vobs first with vobcopy and running:

cat *.vob |mencoder blah blah

but that doesn't seem any better.  perhaps it is something wrong with my
pc hardware setup or with running mencoder on FreeBSD?  seems unlikely,
but so do all the other potential explanations i've thought of so far...

Aaron