[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

ephemeron at softhome.net ephemeron at softhome.net
Tue Dec 9 23:56:49 CET 2003

On 7. December 2003 at 10:42PM -0500,
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms at attbi.com> wrote:

> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:
>
> > My point is that you should not be paying a premium for a DVD over
> > what the media costs.
>
> How about what the production of the film costs?  Are you suggesting
> that film producers should 1) operate at a loss, and 2) continue to
> produce films?

It's a proven fact that DVDs, VCDs and CDs are cheapest where the
"piracy" (as Hollywood and the RIAA like to call non-licensed
copying) levels are the highest.  I'm sure the pockets of the big
Hollywood studioes are hurting because of the hundreds of
millions in China and other non-First World countries that don't
buy official DVDs and VCDs.