[MPlayer-users] Re: Rescuing a scratched DVD

James MS Anderson replys2me at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 00:35:06 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 23:11, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> ephemeron at softhome.net writes:
>
> > On 7. December 2003 at 10:42PM -0500,
> > Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms at attbi.com> wrote:

> >> How about what the production of the film costs?  Are you suggesting
> >> that film producers should 1) operate at a loss, and 2) continue to
> >> produce films?
>
> > It's a proven fact that DVDs, VCDs and CDs are cheapest where the
> > "piracy" (as Hollywood and the RIAA like to call non-licensed
> > copying) levels are the highest.  I'm sure the pockets of the big
> > Hollywood studioes are hurting because of the hundreds of
> > millions in China and other non-First World countries that don't
> > buy official DVDs and VCDs.
>
> I am not sure what you are getting at.  As far as economics are
> concerned, this is an example of price discrimination.

Look at the shows put on by the stars and the film companies... they
make enough money.  Having said that, ripping DVD's and then holding LAN
parties with huge numbers of people, trasfering Terabytes of data in a
matter of hours is clearly wrong and illegal.  May the Lord "FACT" smite
all those who make a copy of anything, as clearly they are forcing the
market to reduce the prices of DVD's and music down to something that's
almost a reasonable price!  Of course, the 800 CDR's I have will be used
*PURELY* for backups and for legally trasnfering data!

Perhaps I went a little over the top?