[MPlayer-users] sis_vid

Marcus Thiesen marcus at thiesenweb.de
Wed Dec 10 10:02:50 CET 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 08:50, der_newsletter at gmx.de wrote:
> indeed i dont know how to load it at all (shame on me) - from the help i
> used the -vo xvidix command, but it (-->Mplayer) aks me for a mor specific
> codec ... could someone please help me to get that driver enabled ? Do i
> have to enable it before compile ? thanks!

First of all, dont't use it, rather use the xv output or something else, the
sis driver is a bad hack(tm) and the original author of the SiS driver for X
does think so too.

If you want to use it you have to either run mplayer as root or set the
mplayer binary suid root (chown root.root mplayer; chmod u+s mplayer) which
is in the same way very insecure.
If this does not work, send the -v output. You don't have to enable it when
compiling AFAIK, you can select the xvidix driver by appending the name of
the so file (mplayer -vo vidix:sis_vid.so).

Have fun,
	Marcus

|Marcus Thiesen                           ICQ# 108989768|
|                   www.thiesenweb.de                   |
  28A7 37CC AE2C BB6C D56D  8A3D E614 E56B 7546 75F2