[MPlayer-users] standalone DVD-player that plays mencoded AVIs

HR haavroed at online.no
Wed Dec 10 18:34:31 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of
> Matthias Czapla
[...]
> Im not too deep into the topic of encoding, I usually just do
> something like
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=xxx:vpass=1
> -vop scale=x:y,crop=x:y:a:b inputfile
> On the site you mentioned they give detailed reports about
> playing Divx 3, 4
> and 5 but I dont know if this is in any way relating to the
> mpeg4 mencoder
> produces :|
lavc mpeg4 *is* divx 4/5 (see man page), so there is no decoding
difference unless you specify advanced MPEG4 options. In which case
there's still no difference, because AFAIK any codec capable of decoding
divx 5 has decoded my lavc mpeg4 encodings. At least all codecs I've
ever used. (Again, unless you start using the most advanced lavc
options, in which case I wouldn't guarantee that all divx 5 capable
codecs can decode it, but this is not relevant, since I bet no
standalone player would play it either.) Since lavc mpeg4 doesn't make
divx 3 material, you can ignore anything that's said about it. In case
it's interesting though (for (older) material made by others, for
example), it seems far the most basic and common divx support in
standalone players is div3. Maybe divx 3 doesn't even have any features
available that a standalone player doesn't understand. Of this I have no
idea, because I never use div3.

HR