[MPlayer-users] av sync problems dvd->divx w/lavc and 3 pass

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 10 23:14:26 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:40:30PM -0500, Aaron Peterson wrote:
> For whatever reason I can't seem to consistently get the a/v sync right
> when going from a dvd source to .avi with mencoder.  The audio is almost
> always between 200-400 msec off the video, and any given file is off when
> played by mplayer and windows media player.  I can adjust mplayer to sync
> manually while playing the .avi, but would rather it be right in the file
> for obvious reasons.  I really don't know what I might be missing.
>
> looks like i'm using mplayer 0.92 built from ports on FreeBSD 4.9, and
> following are the commands I used for 3 pass encoding:

Please use latest version when reporting bugs. Otherwise it's likely
that your bug has already been fixed...

My next recommendation would be to try 2pass instead of 3pass (i.e. rm
frameno.avi and skip the -ovc frameno step entirely). The whole idea
behind 3pass is brain damaged and it's a miracle that it ever works.
There have been a/v desync reports with it before...

Rich