[MPlayer-users] Feature request: ReClock functionality

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 10 23:24:34 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 09:00:12PM +0200, Lasse Kärkkäinen / Tronic wrote:
> 'lo...
>
> As some may know, there is a plugin called ReClock for
> DirectShow/Windows. I'm asking for similar features to be implemented in
> MPlayer.

Agree it would be nice. But you can probably forget it in G1. In fact
monitoring vsync is very difficult because of bad drivers and bad
hardware that make this information hard to obtain, even when they do
have features to wait to pageflip until the next refresh. But there
will be every attempt to support sync-to-refresh-rate in MPlayer G2.

> The Problem
> -----------
>
> When playing 25 FPS movie on 50 Hz refresh rate (tv-out), you'd expect
> to have each frame displayed exactly two times on your screen.

Only if you have 50 Hz refresh, which means horrible flicker. You'd
really expect each frame to be shown 3 or 4 times on a progressive
monitor. And once your refresh is that high, having an occasional
frame be displayed for one too many of one too few refreshes isn't
really visible.

So it only really matters for tvout. And even then, it only matters
for PAL tvout, because with NTSC you're already showing frames for a
varying number of refreshes (usually 3:2 telecine).

Rich