[MPlayer-users] mencoder alway selecting en subtitles

HR haavroed at online.no
Thu Dec 11 01:25:46 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Tilo Renkl
[...]
> today I tried to integrate hradcoded Subtitles in my scripts, but
> when selecting a subpicture with -slang de, I always get english
> subtitles.
> Even when selecting with -sid or with both (-sid 1 -slang de) I get
> english subtitles.
I've had similar problems, it seems mencoder 0.90 had some similar
problems with subtitles, and that these got worse with the 1.0 pre
versions. Or, newer films have an ever-changing structure which breaks
vobsub in mencoder bit-by-bit. Try specifying each of the subtitle sid's
listed, even though mplayer reports them as another language, and if you
still can't find it *specify sid's out of range according to mplayer
dump*. I have solved that problem for myself many times this way. Now,
why it behaves like this is beyond me. Hopefully it will be fixed some
day. Furthermore, I've run into more difficulties extracting vobsubs
from "lotr two towers see", except with that one, only the first part of
the subtitles for each language is extracted - and even then, some of
the *sub files are corrupt, so I'm unable to retrieve subtitles *at all*
on that title. I don't know if it matters, but the main movie spans
several titles when looking at the DVD structure.

HR