[MPlayer-users] hwac3 troubles with SB-Live

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 11 20:35:21 CET 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:16:50AM -0800, Shane Wegner wrote:
> Hey Richard,
>
> Not sure if you caught this ac3 threat or not but I've
> narrowed the problem down to hwac3 not working on the oss
> emu10k1 driver.  The ac3 sound works fine but the video
> playback is extremely slow.  Using Alsa 1.0 with -ao alsa9
> -ac hwac3 works fine.  I have a bit of familiarity with the
> emu10k1 driver and am just wondering what mplayer needs to
> maintain video sync from ac3.  Is it using any of the OSS
> status ioctl calls to determine how many samples have
> actually been played or otherwise depend on an ALSA feature
> to sync the video.
>
> Shane

Shane, I'm not sure why you mailed me. I don't have an sblive, nor
alsa, so I'm not sure how it behaves or what bugs it might have.
MPlayer does use the OSS ioctl's to maintain A/V sync even with
buffering, when playing normal uncompressed audio, but I really have
no idea what it does for hwac3 passthru.

Rich