[MPlayer-users] How to instruct mplayer to enable postprocessing with mpegpes? (NOVIRUS)

Fri Dec 12 19:28:48 CET 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

MN>> DRFI>> Sure, it may be useful if you have
MN>> DRFI>> extremely low-quality video, but  something like
MN>> pp=fq:15/hb:64:20/vb/dr DRFI>> with denoising afterwards will give similar
MN>> results.
MN>> DRFI>
MN>> DRFI>The fq option should NEVER be used unless you have video from a
MN>> DRFI>strange source that can't export quantizer tables. It will severely
MN>>
MN>> Well, what should I do if I'm not satisfied with the pp's level of
MN>> deblocking, and want to increase it? Strangely though, in windows
MN>> ffdshow's methods provide excellent deblocking quality, and in mplayer
MN>hmm, could u provide some example video which looks better with

Well, almost any very low-quality video with huge blocking/ringing/etc
artifacts shows difference. I tested it with several low-quality
tape->divx re-encodings in 320x240 resolution. Taking some kind of anime
and scaling it to 320x240 while setting vqscale, say, to 15 also shows
this on fast motion, although not that much. pp with default settings
leaves a lot of artifacts, and ffdshow postprocessing gives better
results then pp.  Results of pp with tuned settings are somewhere
between them, and spp filter smoothes out all artifacts and generates
very blurry image.

MN>ffdhow? and also tell us exactly which options to set in ffdshow

in postprocessing section: slider to the maximum level, all kind of
deblocking algorithms enabled (mplayer, Nic's, Nic's first).

--

Vladimir