[MPlayer-users] using hwac3 on non ac3 data

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Sat Dec 13 01:21:45 CET 2003

I've been having problems finding a solution to using mplayer's hwac3 on
non ac3 media (Such as transcoded dvd's)

I have to send the dd receiver wav/dd/dts signal for it to decode(play)
but I think that once I transcode it, mplayer is sending the audio
as/is which is mpeg4, mp3, ogg, or something else (What ever the
transcoder is sending it, but I'm pretty sure it's using mpeg4).
I've not yet found a way to force mplayer to decode mpeg4 into wav so
that is sends the dd/dts receiver what it can handle.. that's
what I believe needs to be fixed, any ideas on how is much appreciated,
thanks in advance. :)

Additional information:

I'm using the command, "mplayer -zoom -fs -mc .0001 -autosync 60 -vop
pp=0x20000 -ao alsa9:spdif -ac hwac3 -vop denoise3d 6:3:6 -sws 4 -dr
-quiet /misc/myth/video/Out_Cold.avi-000" on a transcoded dvd (down from
4gb to 1.4) and have only ac3/toslink output on my system.  The dvd
audio does work fine before the transcoding (ie mplayer dvd://1) and mp3
playback also works (Via mpg123).  I have also noticed that about half
of video clips (SWK, commercials) don't work, but they have different
sample rates (Since it's probably sending a codec that the dd/dts
receiver can't decode).

Is there a way to get mplayer to re-encode audio that isn't of certain
types (Such as standard wav, dd, dts)?  Or is there a better way to fix
this?

Thanks,

--Brandon