[MPlayer-users] AVI 2 SVCD

HR haavroed at online.no
Sun Dec 14 00:13:05 CET 2003

> [mailto:mplayer-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of mpierce
[...]
> Been searching the web on how to convert avi to svcd under linux and
> have come up with absolute garbage and tried a few methods
> that produced
> garbage.
>
> Can someone help point me in the right direction?
transcode maybe? To get an all-in-one package, that is.

> Is there a way to enable mencoder to do this?
Almost; you need mjpegtools as well.

First you can use mplayer to convert the video in the AVI to mpeg2
stream, for a (relatively) low quality 1-pass test, try

mencoder yoursource.avi -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=132:vbitrate=1000:autoaspect:vrc_buf_size=1000:
vrc_minrate=1000:vrc_maxrate=2500:vpsize=1000 -of mpeg -o
yoursource.mpeg
mplayer yoursource.mpeg -dumpvideo -dumpfile yoursource.m2v

To make SVCD's you want to keep, you should turn on a bunch of other
lavc options, such as
mbd=2:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:trell:cbp:tcplx_mask=0.1:scplx_mask=0.1
and ofcourse do 2 pass, and maybe increase vbitrate and vrc_maxrate

Get the audio:
mplayer yoursource.avi -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio.dump

Depending on the type of the audio, you might have to convert it, or you
can throw it as is into mplex from mjpegtools, which you use  to mux the
audio and video streams together to make a (S)VCD.

mplex -f5 -V -b230 -o movie.mpg yoursource.m2v audio.dump

Then with any luck movie.mpg should be a SVCD movie... I think... I
build DVD's (or at least that's what I'm trying to do) so I don't know.

I've unsuccessfully been trying to mux mp3 streams through mplex into a
dvdauthor DVD. Either dvdauthor doesn't work with mp3 audio, or I don't
know what the h** I'm doing (or both are true, a very plausible option).
Compressing the audio to 224kbps mp2 worked, while 96-192 kbps VBR mp3
didnt. Neither did 128kbps CBR. Not that I care, the DVD has enough
space, but it still sucks.

HR