[MPlayer-users] can't control volume on multiple mplayer instances using esd!

dave giffin givdav01 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 10:11:12 CET 2003

I would like to be able to playback multiple audio and
or video clips and have the audio from all of them
play out of my sound card. Since only one program can
have access to my sound card(/dev/dsp), I am using
'esd', which allows multiple mplayer instances
simultaneous access to my sound card.

But, I would also like to be able to adjust the volume
level on each individual mplayer instance. I can do
that, but, only the first audio clip I'm playing will
actually pay attention to the volume setting!

Is this a problem with esd and/or mplayer? What can be
done to fix this?

My System:
MPlayer-1.0.pre2 (had same problem with MPlayer-0.90)
Debian Sarge
esound-0.2.29
NVIDIA Nforce sound card

:)