[MPlayer-users] MPlayer consumes 30% of my Athlon XP 2200! plz help help lower this!

Mon Dec 15 07:36:32 CET 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:

DRFI>BTW, all modern soundcards support multiple opens, so esd/nas is
DRFI>really only useful for remote apps. And I don't see the sense in

You are wrong. Windows drivers emulate this much better that linux/*bsd
ones, so problems are more noticable here, but only soundcards with more
or less powerful processors support multiple opens. All Creative ones
starting from Live! and old Vortex series for example. All modern cards
from Terratec, although I don't know if they are supported under linux.

But low-grade cards such as cmedia and most of onboard audio doesn't do
hardware mixing, and linux kernel doesn't emulate it.

--

Vladimir