[MPlayer-users] Tools for mpeg* to DVD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Dec 16 21:13:49 CET 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:32:48 +0100
"HR" <haavroed at online.no> wrote:

> Could you give a specific example of how to make a DVD with ffmpeg and
> toolame (and tcmplex)? I can figure out some methods myself, ofcourse,
> but if you've already done it and made working DVD's you might save
> some of us a bunch of demoralizing trial-and-error.
I've never made a DVD... only SVCDs, but my typical transcode
command-line is below, perhaps useful as a starting point...

 transcode -y ffmpeg,toolame -i "$INPUT" -o "$OUTPUT" -E 44100 \
 -b 160,0,5,1 -Z 480x480 -F mpeg2 -V -w $BITRATE,30 --pulldown \
--export_asr 2

> Someone recently suggested dvb-mplex over mplex...
Yes, I took that advice and tried it...  It certainly didn't work for
any input I tried to give it.

> Exactly why do you recommend tcmplex over the other two (so far)
> options?
mplex is very complicated (needlessly), very strict about input, and
gives very poor results in some cases (wasting huge ammounts of space
in some cases).  tcmplex (which comes with transcode) is very simple,
will accept just about anything, and just plain works.