[MPlayer-users] Tools for mpeg* to DVD

Andrew Stevens andrew.stevens at mnet-online.de
Tue Dec 16 22:02:38 CET 2003

Hi all,

mplex and mpeg2enc author here.... sort of an aside.

> I would suggest tcmplex over mplex.

I'm puzzled why anyone would want to use it (apart from already having it all
set up and ready to go) are there some nasty bugs in mplex I don't know
about.    It does a reasonable basic job but tcmplex is a port of a snapshot
of the bbmpeg multiplexer and hasn't really been developed for quite a while.
You're definately sure out of luck if you want more than basic AC3 or MPEG
layer II audio muxing.

Also, I'd be really interested to hear from 'real users' experiences with
mpeg2enc vs. the mpeg2 personality of ffmpeg.  I'm currently just about
finished with refactoring mpeg2enc to allow it to be more easily extended and
a split into a shared lib backend seperate with several front ends (gstreamer
is the first new one) and I'd like to know where the shoe itches for most
normal user folk.   Feel free to be rude ;-)

The stuff that is currently in progess is mainly support for very high quality
encoding (dynamic B/P frame selection) and look-ahead and multi-pass
encoding.   A side-effect of the refactoring is much enhanced SMP scalability
on fast CPUs and with P picture-only streams.  mplex has for a while now
supported DTS and LPCM audio, and subpicture subtitles are current
work-in-progress.

cheers,

	Andrew