[MPlayer-users] Mencoder 2pass bitrate control

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Dec 18 05:10:28 CET 2003

jzaw wrote:

> On Wednesday, Dec 17, 2003, at 20:58 Europe/London, D Richard Felker III
> wrote:
>
>> Also, xvid is not recommended. lavc is faster and gives better
>> quality.
>

> is this generally recognised or is the jury still out on this one?
> I thought there was still some discussion about quality?

It's generally recognized as true around here because nobody has been
able to prove us wrong. A while ago I tried a sample encode with xvid
1.0 beta 2, and was impressed with the results; when I compared it to
lavc, I really couldn't decide which I liked better.

I'd like to do some psnr tests of xvid, but it doesn't work with xvid
1.0:

Option xvidencopts: Unknown suboption psnr

libmpcodecs/ve_xvid4.c has no mention of psnr...

-Corey