[MPlayer-users] Problem With TV Viewing.

Patrick Twohig p-twohig at ieee.org
Thu Dec 18 15:48:23 CET 2003

I have a TV card installed and I want to watch TV using Mplayer.  There
is one slight problem with it, though.  Whenever I load up Mplayer and
change the channel, it sets the volume on the TV-card up to it's highest
setting and the audio sounds very distored.  For my TV card, the audio
chip is unsupported as a regular /dev/dsp* device, so my only recourse
is to use the internal audio patch cable to connect it to my sound
card.  However, the mixer is supported, and in other TV programs it maps
correctly to that device and scales the volume down accordingly.  I
tried using the following to get it working, but it didn't help.

mplayer -mixer /dev/mixer1 tv://

What can I do to force Mplayer to use that other mixer device?

Oh, and BTW, I can adjust my volume for the TV card in Kmix but whenever
I change channels in Mplayer it jumps back up to the highest volume
setting so it's possible, but not practical, to watch TV at a volume
that won't make me deaf.