[MPlayer-users] Re: Tools for mpeg* to DVD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Dec 18 21:40:11 CET 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:57:20 +0100
Andrew Stevens <andrew.stevens at mnet-online.de> wrote:

> > works well, it's just too slow.  ffmpeg's mpeg2 codec is young, but
> > is already about 3x faster than mpeg2enc.
>
> Unless I'm very much mistaken ffmpeg encodes MPEG-2 with interlaced
> support and B frames off.  These are on by default in mpeg2enc. If you
> turn them off  mpeg2enc runs a little over twice as fast (17 fps vs. 9
> fps on my Athlon/XP 2100+).

So, you are saying, even with these 2 features off, mpeg2enc is still
about 1/3rd slower than ffmpeg's mpeg2 codec?

> B frames require big motion estimate search radii and are
> unfriendly to predictive motion estimators

I think it's pretty much universal opinion of the more knowledgable
users on this mailing list, that B-frames are useless.  I personally
haven't yet seen a case where B-frames improve quality and/or reduce
filesizes.