[MPlayer-users] Re: Tools for mpeg* to DVD

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Dec 19 02:17:40 CET 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:03:31 +0100
Danny Bogaards <danny at boware.nl> wrote:

> Both sessions where encoded with:
> -w 5000 --video_max_bitrate 8000 -export_asr 2

> So I see three problems,

What?  Only three?  There's plenty more!

> the maximum bitrate is not as requested (8000kbps),

I can't help there.  There are several options in transcode that don't
work along with ffmpeg.  That's a question for the transcode mailing
list, not here.  Although, the "-R" option _might_ help.

> the aspect ratio is not right

Now that one I can help with...  Create a file named "ffmpeg.cfg". Put
the following lines in it:

[mpeg2video]
aspect=4/3

That should take care of it.  Read docs/export_ffmpeg.txt under the
transcode source directory for more.

> and mplayer can't 'gues' the bitrate.

I've seen this too, and just dismissed it.  It doesn't make much
difference if mplayer can't detect the video bitrate.

> The loolame hint didn't work for me. I have to resample from 44100 to
> 48000. Toolame uses sox for that and the result was slightly slower as
> with mp2enc.

Your audio-sync issues probably aren't caused by sox, or mp2enc, or
toolame.  However, you could just leave-out the audio codec
all-together and convert the audio by-hand, with whichever tools you
prefer.  I often use a command like this:
  mplayer $INPUT -srate 48000 -ao pcm

> Are there maybe other arguments to switch to toolame?

Nope...  In fact there doesn't seem to be any ways to modify toolame's
befault behavior other than setting bitrate.  I actually had to edit
'export/export_toolame.c' just to force it to use psychoacoustic model
2.