[MPlayer-users] layer2.c + gcc 3.3.1 + -fstrict-aliasing -> 'underwater sound'

Goetz Waschk waschk at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Sun Dec 21 19:12:33 CET 2003

Am Fr 19 Dez 2003 23:25:20 GMT schrieb Henk Slager:
> I am using stock SuSE 9.0 32bit and 64bit on an Athlon64 platform and
> found out that software based on mpg123 (e.g. MPlayer-1.0pre2) compiles
> wrong if -O2 is used for the whole mpg123 0.59s package. No segfaults or
> so, but there is a strong  'underwater soundeffect', especially when the
> source has quite some mid-and hi frequencies.
[schnipp]
> I wonder if the same happens with gcc 3.3.2 or newer; Anyone experienced

I've noticed this too with the 'optimized build' of my Mandrake Cooker
package of mplayer 1.0pre3. The current Cooker has gcc 3.3.2 and the
normal build with these flags "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -march=i586
-mcpu=pentiumpro" overwriting the default is OK, while the optimized
build with configure's flags and disabled CPU detection creates the
effect mentioned above.

--
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of