[MPlayer-users] Why not make an installer?

Martin lagitus at mbnet.fi
Sun Dec 21 20:38:18 CET 2003

MPlayer is certainly an impressive piece of software but the difficulties of
installing it along with all the different codecs, fonts, GUIs etc. are IMO
keeping potential users away from it and hinder moving to Linux entirely.
Since making a RPM-type installable binary package for all distros is not
possible, why not make an installer?

An installer like Loki Games' (also used by Unreal Tournament 2003 and some
other games) could solve this problem nicely. It could have checkboxes for
installing different codecs and display the necessary licenses for each
separately. Since better performance is gained when compiling the software
oneself, the installer could do that as well. It could have scripts for
finding necessary configure paths (like --with-gtk-config) and a field for
custom configure flags for more advanced users.

Using Loki Games' installer would give a half-finished solution along with an
update mechanism.

I would love to make this myself but I haven't got the skill nor the time.