[MPlayer-users] Why not make an installer?

Jörg sozbir-seidel at freenet.de
Sun Dec 21 22:14:02 CET 2003

Hi there,

Disclaimer: I had all versions of mplayer running since 0.5 on different
systems. I'm not saying it is any difficult for me to install.

[Sorry can't insert quote-marks. Donno why]
"It's not always as simple as ./configure, make, make
install. IMO many people don't have the knowledge or patience to go through
the README. Even if it's not that fun to do it would make MPlayer
considerably better."

Yes, usually there are some packages missing. Especially the -dev-packages. So
"./configure, make, make" is seldom enough. But that's true for most programs
under linux and not spefic to mplayer. So I agree that a program like
"InstallShield for Linux" would make more people use mplayer (or even linux),
but can't it be solved more genericaly than bothering the mplayer developers
with this?

Jörg