[MPlayer-users] Why not make an installer?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Dec 23 12:08:11 CET 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:39:48 +1300
anton <anton_melser at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> While I know mdk 9.2 has had a LOT of failings (far fewer for 9.0-9.1,
> which are still great), in fact they do EXACTLY what you want, in the
> form of the PLF.

PLF ?

> All the "not quite legal in the United States" codecs
> and what-have-you all in a convenient rpm, just a click away. All the
> dependencies taken care of, just wait for your modem to do the business.

That's just a gamble on MDKs side. The problem with most video
codecs is not only the patents (which also exist in europe,
even though software patents are still not allowed) but also
copyright laws (the distribiution of the .dlls is not all legal).
Sofar nobody cared about what mplayer, ffmpeg and all the others did,
maybe that may change in future, nobody knows.
(In that sense, yes, we are gambling too)

> They even had 1.0pre2 ready about 2-3 weeks after it appeared. I may be
> switching to a more "manly" distribution soon (it just does a few too
> many things I can't work out...) but IMHO it beats even Doze for ease of
> use IF IT IS SET UP PROPERLY BEFORE THE END-USER GETS IT.

Well... yet another distro war...

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu