[MPlayer-users] VCD from dvd with mencoder

Tue Dec 23 16:19:35 CET 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, m0sia wrote:

m>I'd like to make VCD-compatible mpg from DVD with mencoder.

I guess it's a harder thing to do. You should use some other tool, or
use script that comes with mplayer that does this for you, or search
archives (or ask again) on how to set most vcd-compatible parameters
with lavc.

I can only point some errors. You need to correct them, but only that
_won't_ help you creating good vcd.

m>mencoder dvd:// -of mpeg -o VCD.mpg -ovc lavc -oac lavc  -lavcopts
m>vcodec=mpeg2video

For vcd you should use mpeg1video, that's for sure ;) And you should at
least set up bitrate and limit it to 1150 (or what was the number?).

m> acodec=mp2 -vop scale,cropdetect -zoom -xy 352:288

First, you should use -vf with new mplayer. Second, it's useless to do
cropdetect for resulting video - run mplayer once with
-vf cropdetect=30, take a hint from mplayer on how crop parameters
should be set. Test them, and then use something like
-vf crop=712:576,scale=352:288. Most likely you'll have to set aspect
and/or use expand filter too.

m>And then i got mpeg file with x=720 y=480, but not xy=352x288
m>what am i doing wrong?

A lot of things.. Read docs, learn how to use mplayer first, only then
try mencoder.

--

Vladimir