[MPlayer-users] SVCD from TV card

Torsten Römer troemer at swipnet.se
Wed Dec 24 01:11:44 CET 2003

Just in case somebody wants to do the same as me (like putting a
something from a videotape on a SVCD)...

I have not managed to make it work with mencoder alone, but here is a
workaround. It's done by grabbing to an mpeg4 AVI and then "convert" it
to mpeg2 in SVCD format using transcode:

1. Grab from TV card to mpeg4 AVI
mencoder -tv driver=v4l:width=480:height=576 tv:// -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2000:aspect=4/3 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128
-o test.avi

2. Convert to mpeg2 in SVCD format
transcode -a 0 -x ffmpeg,mp3 -i test.avi -w 2000 -F 5,'-B 172 -I 0 -g 6
-G 15' --export_asr 2 -b 128 -V  -f 25 -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -E 44100 -o ttest

3. Mux the resulting files ttest.m2v and ttest.mpa to ttest.mpg
mplex -f 4 -V -o ttest.mpg ttest.m2v ttest.mpa

4. Create a SVCD from ttest.mpg using vcdimager
I'm simply using k3b for that...

The resulting SVCD's play nicely on MPlayer, Xine and my DVD Player.

Mvh
Torsten