[MPlayer-users] How to pause mencoder

marcogi at email.it marcogi at email.it
Tue Dec 23 23:59:24 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 11:01:44PM +0100, tarass at club-internet.fr wrote:
> >(btw Tarrass, the reason I want to pause the encoding of a movie is
> >make my computer more responsive when I have to do stuff, and let it
> >restart the process when I go away...)
>
> Ok, it's a good raison.
> Why don't you use : nice -19 mencoder ...
>
> Mencoder uses what you let him use.

Sometime nice -19 is not sufficent.
On my 1GHz athlon, I'm not able to grab from analog tv at 25fps while
mencoding other video, even at nice -19.
So, sometime, mencoder take longer then I expected and if it's time for
tv recording I suspend it and resume it later.

Finally, there is at least two good reasons to suspend mencoder :)

--
Regards,
Marco Gigante