[MPlayer-users] Problem using vb_strategy=1

Stefan Baehre ste.ba at gmx.de
Fri Dec 26 02:26:32 CET 2003

When using vb_strategy=1 in single-pass encoding, the number of
b-frames used is always off by one from vmax_b_frames. So when
doing

-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:psnr:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=0

I always get 2 b-frames, but when doing

-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:psnr:vmax_b_frames=2:vb_strategy=1

there is never more than 1 b-frame used, when doing

-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:psnr:vmax_b_frames=3:vb_strategy=1

there is never more than 2 b-frames used, and so on.

I'm not sure if vb_strategy=1 is supported in single-pass encoding at
all. Manpage says "strategy to choose between I/P/B frames (pass 2)".
Does this mean it should only be used in 2-pass encoding, or only
that it should be used in the second pass when using 2-passes?

Quality often improves when using vb_strategy=1, even in single-pass
encoding.

Tested with dev-CVS-031226-01:00-3.3.2.