[MPlayer-users] How to pause mencoder

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Fri Dec 26 07:26:46 CET 2003

> Have you ever written an interrupt handler? Coded an operating system? :)

Coded an operating system no, but written an interrupt handler yes :-P  You
tell me how a well written interrupt handler accessing the video
hardware/driver could cause a crash...

> > having 0% CPU usage but still being unable to type into a console window
> > simply because you're copying a large file...

> If this actually happens, your hd is misconfigured. Run hdparm to
> enable dma, irq unmasking, etc.

I was hoping that was the case, but I've done everything you're supposed to
do.  DMA is enabled, so is IRQ unmasking, etc, etc. it just seems that I'm
always doing something that nobody else has tried, or I have a hardware
combination no one else is using because it wouldn't be the first time my
computer has behaved differently to the average.  e.g. I can't use a 2.4.2x
kernel because it's even worse with disk access (I'm currently using 2.4.18
because it's not too bad) but nobody else seems to have any problems with
this at all.

> My exact point was that "keeping the cpu in use" is a very bad idea.
> Even if you don't care about wearing out the hardware, it will cost
> you money on your electric bill, waste natural resources, and
> contribute to pollution.

Well, given that I don't watch much TV, don't have air-con, make very limited
use of heating, etc. I think I'm entitled to allow my CPU to run all the
time ;-)  My electricity bill is still less than everyone else I know, so I
can't be that bad...

Cheers,
Adam.