[MPlayer-users] Low human voice in DVD playback

Mon Dec 29 18:23:02 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Joonas Koivunen wrote:

JK>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
JK>On Monday 29 December 2003 18:13, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
JK>> If conversation comes from other speakers, it is possible that the only
JK>> solution is to compress dynamic range of sound, to make loud chopper and
JK>> gunshot sounds more quiet and to make quiet conversation more loud. But
JK>> since mplayer can't do that on the fly, you need to rip audio from dvd,
JK>> decompress it, use sox to perform range compression, then encode sound
JK>> to some format (probably to ac3 or 6-channel vorbis) and to load it
JK>> instead of original sound when playing a dvd.
JK>-aop list=volnorm?
JK>Doesn't it work? Or is it only for stereo...? I've though been using it
JK>successfully, at least so I think :))

It works somewhat strange, and you can't control its behavior at all.
With sox, there are a lot of parameters to tune. There are different
source materials, a lot types of speakers with different acoustic
properties, and if you want to do convertion without loosing too much of
original sound and without distorion, you gotta need sox capabilities.

--

Vladimir