[MPlayer-users] playing movies on slow machines ...

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 29 18:45:40 CET 2003

On Monday 29 December 2003 16:41, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> i'm using a quite slow machine (PII/400 w/ RivaTNT) for movie
> playback. For some VCDs it works quite well, but for DivX it
> is defitively too slow.

Hm, it ought to be quick enough. My laptop, with a Celeron (Mendocino) 300
CPU, is just about OK for most MPEG4 (divx/xvid) streams with no special
hacks or tweaks. I allow it to drop frames ("-framedrop") but this rarely
happens in practice. B-frames can cause framedrop, and if the size goes above
about 640x360 it can struggle, but otherwise it's perfectly good.

What vo device do you use? I use XV on my laptop. You might want to try using
Vidix - there is a driver for nVidia chips which appears to support the
RivaTNT. I've never used Vidix myself, though (there's no driver for the
Neomagic chip in the laptop and my main PC has an MGA G400, so I use mga_vid)
so I don't know how to set it up or use it.

Also, did you compile MPlayer yourself? If not, you may benefit from doing so
as it will then be optimised specifically for a Pentium II processor. (At
least if you've got GCC 3.x - the best you can do on GCC 2.x is a generic
"i686" processor, based on the Pentium Pro, which may well be good enough
anyway.)

HTH
Stephen