[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer Menu with dxr3 card

Ulrich mplayer at wopr.de
Tue Dec 30 10:54:23 CET 2003

Hi Albeu

On Mon 29 Dec 03 20:41, you wrote:

> > I am currently testing a box equipped with a dxr3 card and mplayer.
> > If the -menu option is used, mplayer gets really slow - the menu is
> > working but the movie or the file is stuttering so it cannot be watched
> > anymore. Is the Menu converted in some format, mixed with the playing
> > file and then decoded by the dxr3 card or is it another 'bug' why it is
> > soooo slow?
>
> It is so slow bcs the video must be decoded, filtered (here to draw the
> menus) and encoded again to mpg before it can be sent to the dxr3. You
> probably need a quiet fast box to get that working at decent speed.

That does not make sense to me. You have to use a dxr3 card for viewing HQ
mpeg2 on rather slow systems - but If you want a menu on mplayer you have to
use a fast system anyway. That does not make sense....
Why can't the menu be generated as a overlay, like the original dxr3 software
handles subtitles? That should work faster I think and has the same number of
colors:-)

--
Ulrich