[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and AC3 surround sound encoding

Richard Tweedie Rich at Tweedie.org.uk
Tue Dec 30 21:38:50 CET 2003

I found that I couldn't rip DTS audio from a film I was trying to convert.  I
didn't have the same symptoms as you, basically I got the background and mood
music but no voices.  If the reason is the same though, you can get round it
by chosing a different audio track.  What you could do is run

# mplayer -v dvd://[track no]

Look at the output and you'll probably see a number of audio tracks (near the
top of the mplayer output), some AC3 5.1  in various languages, maybe a
couple of stereo and DTS.  Use the -aid option on the mencoder command line
and specify the id of an audio track that is AC3 5.1 not DTS

Hope this helps...

Rich