[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer drops a lot of frames when playing over fast network

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at optushome.com.au
Wed Dec 31 07:56:03 CET 2003

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

> Do you have "nfs: server foobar not responding, still trying" and "nfs:
> server foobar OK" lines in your syslog?
> If yes, then maybe using tcp mounts instead of udp mounts or increasing
> the retrans value could help.

No, that seems to be ok.  I don't think the problem lies with the NFS server,
since copying the file with 'cp' works fine (and fast.)  I've had more of a
fiddle, and it seems that it's the I/O causing problems - a lot of either
network I/O or disk I/O seems to cause mplayer's cache to run out.  Still not
sure why it barely goes above 50% though.

I'm trying out kernel 2.6.0 with preempt on, so I'll see if that makes a
difference.

Thanks,
Adam.