[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer/ogm/ogg

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 2 00:47:25 CET 2003

Hi,

> > btw, why the hell are you encoding to ac3 ?
> > instead of sending out as 6ch LCPM over sp/dif?
>
> Does it work? Does the standard (whichever aplies here) allow for
> multichannel PCM sound to be transferred via spdif and do the amplifiers
> understand and play it correctly?
>
> I mean, I remember seeing several times some bitching and moaning that
> you can send multichannel AC3/DTS or two channel PCM but not
> multichannel PCM.

hmm. dunno about the amplifiers, they may not support it...
but the standard LPCM header has the space for up to 8 channels:

//         number of audio channels - 1 (e.g. stereo = 1)         3 bit

and for other interesting stuff too:

//         audio sampling frequency (48khz = 0, 96khz = 1)        2 bit

note that values 2,3 are undefined by std, but they're usually 44100 and
32000 hz

//         audio emphasis on-off                                  1 bit
//         audio mute on-off                                      1 bit

//         dynamic range control (0x80 if off)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team