[MPlayer-users] Notes on MPlayer codecs

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ees2.oulu.fi
Thu Jan 2 10:35:25 CET 2003

I recently upgraded from MPlayer-0.90pre8 to MPlayer-0.90rc2. Here are some
notices of differences between the versions and more:

1)
MPlayer-0.90rc2 can not decode AVIs encoded with Mencoder-0.90pre8 using
options "-lavcopts vcodec=rv10 -ovc lavc" and vice versa. Looks like the
rv10 codec in libavcodec is incompatible between the two versions.

2)
MPlayer-0.90rc2 is able to decode AVIs encoded with the open source
OpenDIVX using libavcodec, the older version wasn't. Great work!

3) However, "mencoder -vc ffodivx -ovc rawrgb" doesn't work even if
mplayer with -vc ffodivx does work. This is surprising: ffodivx
works with mplayer but not with mencoder.

4) MPEG video decoded with "-vc mpeg12" skips two first frames on my tests,
with "-vc ffmpeg12" it is ok. Not fatal, but makes one wondering
when using something like "-vo yuv4mpeg".