[MPlayer-users] ogg seeking small bug

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 2 10:47:07 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 09:59:19AM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> If you seek backwards ten/sixty/even more seconds then MPlayer will
> again seek forward until it finds the next keyframe. There are files
> that simply don't contain a new key frame between your current position
> and the ten seconds before this position. As long as MPlayer can only
> seek to key frames (which will be so for a long time, I guess) that's
> correct bahviour.

I disagree. Relative seeks should always round in the direction of the
seek. I.e. if I seek forward by an amount that doesn't land on a
keyframe, it should proceed forward to the next keyframe... BUT, if I
seek backwards by an amount that doesn't land on a keyframe, it should
continue BACKWARDS until a keyframe is found, to prevent nonsense
deadlock situations where the seek buttons don't work!

Rich